Friday, October 20, 2006

Child asleep in car

As I write this, my 2 year old is asleep in the car. I am in the car too. We are at a friends and she was supposed to have her nap there but alas, didn't make it. Faced with the difficult trade-off between waking her and going inside and getting that nap, we opted for the nap. However, this left one of us stuck in the car.

In the olden days (circa 1999), this would have meant at least an hour of bordom and resentment towards the parent having a merry time inside. If you had the foresight to have brought a book then things would be better. And let's face, GPRS service on a mobile isn't going to get you lots of happy time.

Today, I was fortunate. We were travelling. I had my laptop and the 3G card and thanks to us being in Canberra with a hulking big communications tower, I am on the net at broadband speeds. Now I see the reason to get broadband in the car. The other alternative is to kick in the video iPod and watch some TV.

Of course, give us a year and we will be out of this dilemma. But dare I say it, that technology, if only we remember to bring it, solves all ills.