Sunday, August 31, 2008

Publication incentives

At the Parentonomics book launch, the publishers put out an offer to my children to write up and publish their version of the story (aka Cheaper by The Dozen). Following up from my conversation with Child No.1 last week on the benefits of becoming the next JK Rowling, the book's launcher, Catherine de Fontenay, put the following to Child No.1.
"So when you write your book and become famous will you use the money to buy special treats?"

"What difference would that make?" (with the expression, 'what planet you are from?') "I wouldn't be allowed to until I'm 18 and after that I can just use my allowance to buy all the special treats I want."
That explains her current extreme savings strategy. She is just holding out to be free of parental controls.