Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Comparison with Michael Lewis

I am not sure that Michael Lewis (the great financial journalist) and I have much in common but we did both write a book about our experiences as a parent. His book, Home Game: An Accidental Guide to Fatherhood, I'm sure is the much better seller but in many ways was far more personal and even less tied together (if that is possible) than Parentonomics. Anyhow, Robin Rogers, a sociology professor, saw sufficient things in common -- economic bent + father -- that she reviewed the books together in January's Society (here is the link but it is gated). Suffice it to say, I am happy with the review if only for the comparison:
Michael Lewis was drunk at the hospital while his, presumably sober, wife gave birth to baby number one. ...

I'm guessing that Gans was sober when his wife was in labor.
She was guessing right although after a little time we took numerous steps to make sure my wife was far from with it. That is the way to go.

To Rogers, Home Game was funny but also uncomfortable if you were hoping that paternal and maternal obligations and parental status might be becoming more equal. Having read Lewis, I definitely felt the same thing (which is why I never reviewed it here) although I could not but envy his ability to tell a funny story. If you liked Parentonomics, you will probably find much to enjoy in Home Game.