Friday, May 25, 2007

The bowling ball

There is an old episode of The Simpsons (probably from 17 years ago) where Homer struggles to find a birthday gift for Marge and buys her a bowling ball even though she doesn't bowl. I was reminded of this, this year when I opened my birthday present from my six year old son to find a DVD of Happy Feet. He was convinced that I loved the movie; although had he read this blog post he might have seen my love as more fleeting. I remarked that this is "my favourite movie that he likes."

He did much better for his mother's birthday earlier this year. He was convinced that she wanted something to use in cooking and that it had to be purple. Suffice it to say, she ended up with not one but two sets of salad tongs that were various shades of purple. Come to think of it, she did quite well on other things he found that she might like. They at least had the quality that it was not obvious that they were things he wanted. Let's face it, he doesn't eat salad.

I also received the usual hand-made cards from the children. My 8 year old's will be particularly memorable as she wrote "Dad, we will never forget you." It was a nice send off.