Friday, July 11, 2008

Home Alone

This week, for the first time in a decade, I am home alone. Everyone else is in Sydney during the school holidays. I was there at the weekend but had to come back for work.

Now you would think that such a change would be relished, just for a little while. Five nights without obligation, no compromises, television before 7pm and so on. Just for a little while, it sounds like a welcome change.

But no. The second I walked into the empty house I was lost. I literally did not know what to do with myself. Getting dinner seemed not to be worth it just for myself. There was no laundry to do and I actively sought it out. But all around were reminders of what the house is usually like but with less mess. I didn't watch any more TV or read. I just sadly went about paying bills and getting other work done. Even at work this week I spent a considerable amount of time (and I am not making this up) co-opting a visitor and working on an economic model of marriage.

It has been five days and my attitude hasn't changed. Sounds like I am a bit of a baby about this but what can I say. I have never looked forward to a homecoming as much tomorrow's. I know people say you sometimes don't appreciate things until they are gone. But sometimes, even for a little while, it can surprise you. I'll be avoiding weeks like this in the future.